Tag Archives: Highway

Turkey cancels $5.7bn highway privatisation tender

ISTANBUL: Turkish Finance Minister Mehmet Simsek said on Friday the government had cancelled a $5.7 billion tender for the privatisation of toll roads and bridges, after Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan earlier said the result had not met expectations.



Turkey’s Koc Holding and Gozde Girisim and Malaysia’s UEM Group Berhad had won the tender in December.



The Istanbul stock exchange was closed when Simsek made the statement.


Copyright Reuters, 2013

Share


Fatal road crash closes Kings Highway

Posted February 23, 2013 12:30:07

A fatal road accident has closed the Kings Highway near Braidwood in southern New South Wales.

Police say a four-wheel-drive ran into a rock wall and flipped over, 15 kilometres west of Nelligen.

The driver died at the scene. The female passenger has been taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police say the Kings Highway will be closed for most of Saturday, and motorists should delay their travel plans.

Officers are asking drivers not to use the Nerriga Road due to the wet weather.

Topics: death, road, grief, road-transport, braidwood-2622, australia, act

Traders urge Bruce Highway flood-proofing


The Townsville Chamber of Commerce has backed the Queensland Government’s call for better infrastructure to be built in flood-prone areas.


The chamber’s president, Dawson Wilkie, says a number of the city’s businesses were affected by the closure of Bruce Highway in southern Queensland last week.


He says he wants authorities to look at ways to protect the region’s road network from natural disasters.


“The situation is that north Queensland and regional Queensland needs the roads as their lifeblood and what we’ve got to do [is] make sure that isn’t compromised is something we should be looking at,” he said.


He says he is concerned that without improved roads, companies might not invest in the city.


“If it’s clearly hard that you don’t [have] supplies up here because of the floods, that could impact us getting business to relocate up here and that will stifle the growth,” he said.


“So it’s important we have a good message, that we are well supplied and stocked and it is worthwhile starting a business up here in Townsville.”

Topics: retail, tourism, transport, regional-development, regional, floods, activism-and-lobbying, federal—state-issues, townsville-4810

Hume Highway could see B-triple trucks

Updated December 30, 2012 20:18:07

The NRMA has raised safety concerns about a proposed trial of larger three-trailer trucks on the Hume Highway between Sydney and Melbourne.

The New South Wales Government is considering a trial of B-triple trucks, which are about 36 metres long – 10 metres longer than the B-doubles that currently ply the Hume Highway.

The state’s Roads Minister Duncan Gay says a trial would not begin until 2014 at the earliest.

This is due to the construction of a dual carriageway along the entire length of the highway, which is due to be completed next year.

It is being considered as part of a national plan to increase the use of B-triples, which are already used in western New South Wales and other states.

However, NRMA spokesman Peter Khoury says there have already been serious truck safety issues on the highway, and the heavier B-triples will do more damage in a crash.

“The Hume Highway has already been upgraded and those crashes occurred on the upgraded sections of the Hume Highway,” he said.

“It’s important to remember that B-doubles can actually go straight through crash barriers, so there is an obvious safety risk there.

“The trucks that are on the Hume Highway already are causing safety issues.”

But proponents say bigger trucks mean fewer trucks.

Australian Trucking Association spokesman Bill McKinley says the large trucks will never be seen on suburban streets.

“B-triples are what you call long-haul combinations. They’re a combination you use to deliver freight from a distribution centre on the outskirts of Melbourne to a distribution centre on the outskirts of Sydney,” he said.

“The combination is then broken up and the individual parts then go to their destination.”

But the proposal comes in the same year as road authorities cracked down on rogue trucking companies, in response to a crash on the Hume Highway at Menangle in January, when a B-double crushed a car, killing three people.

Authorities subsequently found widespread issues within the trucking industry, including trucks found to have tampered speed limiters.

Mr Gay says the industry is now being more stringently policed.

“Currently, nearly half the state operates B-triples. All of the western division of NSW operates B-triples and this mania about monster trucks in not the case,” he said.

“These are the safest trucks on our roads.”

Victoria’s Acting Premier Peter Ryan rejected safety concerns about introducing triple-trailer trucks on the Hume Highway.

Mr Ryan says the Victorian government will closely watch the results of the trial, but he does not believe the trucks are inherently dangerous.

“I think the issue is around driver behaviour as opposed to the safety of the vehicle per se,” he said.

“And I think issues around driver behaviour are just as pertinent whether they’re driving a golf cart or whether you’re driving a B-triple.

“We in Victoria will watch this with interest and we will see what eventuates.

“I know that the Transport Minister and the transport industry are always in conversations about the means by which they can better achieve efficiencies of movement.”

Topics: road-transport, states-and-territories, government-and-politics, road, australia, nsw, vic

First posted December 30, 2012 08:38:44

Abbott sets off for trucker’s view of highway

Updated December 05, 2012 16:31:13

Opposition Leader Tony Abbott is getting a trucker’s view of the Pacific Highway upgrading project as he spends two days driving from Brisbane to Terrigal, on the New South Wales central coast.

Mr Abbott drove the truck out of the Rocklea markets in Brisbane earlier today and will head down the coast on the highway he says is still a “goat track” from the 1970s.

He has told the ABC he has had a truck licence for more than a decade as part of his work with the local rural fire brigade.

“Last year I upgraded to a heavy combination, partly because that would help me to drive the bulk water carrier at the local fire brigade but also partly because I thought that it would be useful to be able to highlight the parlous state of our roads,” he said.

“If this Government gets re-elected, the carbon tax will go on heavy transport. So, I guess it’s politically helpful and also socially useful.”

Mr Abbott says he wants to highlight the state of the road and the economic cost of neglecting such a critical piece of national infrastructure ahead of the Christmas tourist season, when traffic loads double on the highway.

He is promising a Coalition government would provide more than $5.5 billion to complete the dual carriageway on the Pacific Highway.

“We want to add $2 billion to what the Government’s put forward and if we spend the extra $2 billion, we’re very confident that we can get the Pacific Highway duplicated from Newcastle to the Queensland border well within the current decade,” he told ABC 702′s Adam Spencer.

“At the moment there’s deadlock because the Commonwealth is trying to insist the states put in half the money. The states are saying ‘no’, we want to keep to the 80-20 funding formula that the Federal Government gave to the previous state Labor governments.

“We’re saying, look, let’s end the argy bargy, let’s end the blame game, let’s spend this extra $2 billion and get the job done because it will save lives and boost our economy.”

He says the New South Wales Government is “enthusiastically in favour” of the plan.

“They want this work to be done urgently for obvious reasons. Everyone wants it to be done. It’s just that the Federal Government, I regret to say, is playing politics over this road,” he said.

Mr Abbott says the money will be diverted from funding for the Parramatta-to-Epping railway line.

But Infrastructure and Transport Minister Anthony Albanese has dismissed the drive as an “empty publicity stunt”.

“Having abandoned the 2016 commitment first made by the Howard government, the Federal Coalition now don’t have a date for completion,” he said in a statement.

“They also have no idea where the extra funds for duplication will come from that will be a result of delay into the next decade.”

Mr Albanese says the Federal Government’s commitment to fix the highway is “unwavering”.

“Right now, more than 1,700 workers are onsite upgrading 73 kilometres of this road,” he said.

“Compared to the former Howard government’s record of just $1.3 billion over 12 years, Federal Labor has already invested $4.1 billion in the highway and set aside our share of the funding required to complete its full duplication.”

Mr Abbott is due in Coffs Harbour this afternoon.

Topics: abbott-tony, road-transport, industry, business-economics-and-finance, government-and-politics, federal-government, brisbane-4000, terrigal-2260, nsw, qld, australia

First posted December 05, 2012 13:23:17

Highway risk concerns over massive truck numbers

Updated November 26, 2012 12:10:01

The State Opposition has accused the Transport Minister, Troy Buswell, of secrecy over a grain export deal in the South West.

The Government has given in-principle support for agribusiness, Bunge, to transport up to 500,000 tonnes of grain per annum through Bunbury Port from 2014.

Labor’s transport spokesman, Ken Travers, says this would see an additional 1,000 trucks a week travelling along the Coalfields Highway.

The highway runs from Wagin in the Wheatbelt through Collie to the South West Highway.

Mr Travers says Mr Buswell has not told the public what routes the trucks will take and what impact there will be on local roads.

“They know it is going to be dramatic, it is going to actually put lives at risk,” he said.

“The volume of trucks that we’re putting onto roads that simply are not able to handle them is dangerous and it is just unacceptable that we keep that sort of information secret from the public.

“The impacts on a local community are not confident commercial negotiations, they are issues that should be made public.”

Mr Buswell says the Government has nothing to hide.

He says the company is yet to finalise contracts and once the truck routes are known, they will be made public.

“We’re more than happy to share those with the public when it comes to the use of our roads,” he said.

“Of course the Government is working with them [the company] so we can understand the impact of that transport effort.

“We’ll make sure that the process is monitored and managed and if road upgrades are required as part of that then we’ll look at how we go about funding that.”

Topics: road-transport, bunbury-6230, perth-6000

First posted November 26, 2012 12:04:26

Long wait over for Cunningham Highway fix

Posted December 11, 2012 10:00:50

Two years and $57 million later, the reconstruction of the highway through Cunningham’s Gap on Queensland’s southern Darling Downs is complete.

Work began to repair the Cunningham Highway in 2010 after widespread rain and localised flooding but the project was hampered by major floods last year.

Warwick Chamber of Commerce and Industry president David Littleproud says it has been a long time coming.

“Obviously it’s a welcome development as it underpins the economic development and prosperity of Warwick, as well as a lot of communities right through the Southern Downs into northern New South Wales,” he said.

“It’s a major arterial from Brisbane to Sydney, so it’s a major development and it’s been long overdue.”

Mr Littleproud says project has caused some headaches for the local economy.

“It’s changed some of the habits of some of the travelling public in looking for different arterials down through New South Wales,” he said.

“That impacted from the small cafe owners through to the large trucking companies that we have in Warwick.

“These sort of impacts tear away at the business people’s pockets in Warwick and the Southern Downs.”

Topics: road-transport, federal—state-issues, regional, regional-development, community-development, warwick-4370, toowoomba-4350

Edible oil transporters block National Highway

They protes­t hiring of a privat­e compan­y for oil transp­ort. “Some people opened fire at them from a tanker owned by the private company”, says Bakhtawar Wazir.

KARACHI: Dozens of edible oil tankers blocked the National Highway near Port Qasim on Thursday during a strike called by the association of tanker owners in protest against the National Logistics Cell (NLC) for awarding oil transport contract to a private company.

They blocked traffic on the highway when “some people opened fire at them from a tanker owned by the private company”, said Bakhtawar Wazir, Chairman of All Pakistan Edible Oil Tankers Association.

In protest against the NLC, the association has set up a camp at the Port Qasim for the past one week.

“Five members of our association were injured in the firing. We will not carry edible oil across the country and continue the strike until the NLC takes back the contract from the private company because it will completely destroy our business,” said Wazir while talking to The Express Tribune.

He said the tanker owners had no other business to do as they had specifically prepared 10-wheel tankers with a capacity of 25 to 30 tons for the supply of edible oil to ghee and oil manufacturing factories across the country. “We were asked to do so by the All Pakistan Vanaspati Manufacturers’ Association (PVMA) and one vehicle is worth Rs3 million.”

Wazir claimed that they had 5,500 oil tankers in their fleet, which supply edible oil across the country, but the NLC was hurting their business by bringing a private company in the field as “the NLC does not own any oil tankers”.

The edible oil transporters have been in the business for more than 15 years, but their vehicles are not hired for supply of petroleum products. Petroleum marketing companies do not use the tankers manufactured before 2000 and edible oil tankers were manufactured between 1994 and 1999.

A mafia

Talking to The Express Tribune, PVMA Transport Committee Chairman Mohammad Shoaib Khan said they had agreements with the NLC since 2007 and they could give a sub-contract.

NLC handled 20% of PVMA’s total supply and it had 43 vehicles. It sometimes brought private transport vehicles if its own vehicles fell short, he said. “NLC is a well-reputed institution and we have no complaints against them. Oil is never stolen or lost from NLC’s vehicles.”

Terming the edible oil tankers association a mafia, Khan said the body was creating trouble for other players in edible oil supply and “now it has started attacking the NLC.”

Members of the association attacked two NLC vehicles, leading to oil spill on roads, he alleged. Despite extensive efforts, NLC was not available for comment.

Published in The Express Tribune, October 12th, 2012.

View the original article here

Highway contract awarded for Lusail City development

The Lusail Real Estate Development Co has awarded the highways and associated utility network contracts in Qatar’s Lusail City master-development to Al Jaber & Partners. Once complete, the City aims to attract 80,000 visitors, 200,000 residents and 170,000 workers. Featuring 37 square kilometres of waterfront land, the project is divided into 19 mixed-use districts. Al Jaber & Partners will complete its work within 18 months.

Article continues below